Community Service Awards
and the Memorial Wall
Board Matters, Minutes, etc.
How to contact the Foundation
Ladies Gun Club
Disc Golf Course
Tennis Club Project
Foundation for Carson City Parks &
The Foundation for Carson City Parks & Recreation was created to support the
Carson City Parks, Recreation, and Open Space Department. Click on
the following link access the Department's website:
City Parks, Recreation, and Open Space Dept.
Carson City Arts &
Carson City Historical Society
Our contact information:
PO Box 3266
Carson City, NV 89702-3266
Foundation Presents Open House at Wungnema House
Sunday, March 25, 2018
Curious about the stone house on the east side of Mills Park across from Carson High
School? It's the historic Wungnema House. Want to learn something about the Hopi
stonemasons who built the house, and other distinctive homes and structures around
the Carson City area, including at least one church at Lake Tahoe? Just want a look
inside? Come to the open house hosted by The Foundation for Carson City Parks &
Recreation (FCCPR) at the Wungnema House in Mills Park, from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. on
Sunday, March 25, 2018. Admission is free; all are welcome.
The house was built shortly after WW II by Burton and Pearl (Talas) Wungnema and
served as the family home until the early 1970s. After the family moved from the house,
it fell into disrepair and was subject to on-going vandalism until it was rescued by
Carson City in the late 1990s and restored to serve as a meeting place for small community
groups and organizations. Notable, in addition to the house's exterior masonry, is the
fireplace and hearth that feature a Hopi clan symbol as well as stone from north-central
Arizona, near the Hopi homeland.
The Wungnema House is managed by the Foundation for Carson City Parks and Recreation
(FCCPR) under a lease from Carson City. FCCPR is a private, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization.
FCCPR provides an umbrella under which various organizations and citizens can come
together to explore innovative ways to promote, facilitate and fund their activities.
It assists these organizations and individuals with similar goals to promote and meet
Foundation objectives by acting in a fiduciary capacity to help manage and protect
monies raised for their projects. Member projects, past and present, facilitated by the
Foundation include the Carson City Tennis Club, the Eagle Valley Disc Golf Course
(scheduled to open by Memorial Day 2018), the Lone Mountain Cemetery Headstone Project,
Carson City Gun Range improvements, dog park improvements in Fuji and Sonoma Parks, and
the Wungnema House.
FCCPR welcomes new members and is interested in individuals and businesses who can
assist with fundraising, newsletter, publicity, special events, and recruitment Basic
annual membership is $25.00, and higher categories of membership are encouraged. For
further information, visit the Foundation's website at CarsonCityParks.org, or email
the Foundation at email@example.com.
Calendar of events, deadlines, etc.
- Sunday, March 25, 2018 - Wungnema House Open House - 2-5 p.m.
- Sunday, April 14, 2018 - Deadline to request a Logo Design Competition Entry Package
- Wed., April 18, 2018 - FCCPR Monthly Board meeting at Butti Way - 2-4 p.m.
- Sunday, April 29, 2018 - Wungnema House Open House - 2-5 p.m.
- Wed., May 16, 2018 - FCCPR Annual General Meeting and Monthly Board meeting at Butti Way - 2-4 p.m.
- Friday, May 18, 2018 - Press Release (Call for FCCPR Award Nominations)
- Sunday, May 20, 2018 - Wungnema House Open House - 2-5 p.m.
- Thursday, May 31 - Deadline for receipt of logo design entries.
- Friday, June 1, 2018 - Review of logo design submissions for compliance with rules
- Monday, June 18, 2018 - Deadline for receipt of Award Nominations
- Wed., June 20, 2018 - FCCPR Monthly Board meeting at Butti Way - 2-4 p.m. - Selection
of awardees and logo design
- Friday, June 22, 2018 - Deadline for memorial (honors) due, with payment
- Sunday, June 24, 2018 - Wungnema House Open House - 2-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 11, 2018 - Awards ceremony in Mills Park (5:30), followed by Reception (Open House)
at Wungnema House (about 6:00 to 7:30)
- Wed., July 18, 2018 - FCCPR Monthly Board meeting at Butti Way - 2-4 p.m.
- Wed., August 15, 2018 - FCCPR Monthly Board meeting at Butti Way - 2-4 p.m.
- Sunday, August 19, 2018 - Wungnema House Open House (during Jazz & Beyond Festival) - 2-5 p.m.
FCCPR Welcome to our site. The Foundation is an umbrella organization created
for charitable and educational purposes related to Carson City Parks and Recreation. We
assist the Carson City (Nevada) Parks & Recreation Dept. with projects for improvements
to the City's parks. Currently we are providing financial guidance and assistance to several
non-501(c)(3) organizations that are raising funds to make improvements:
- Disc Golf Group - This group is raising funds to create three 9-hole disc golf
(frisbee golf) courses in the Flint St. area.
- Headstone Project - This group is raising funds to erect headstones on graves in
Lone Mountain Cemetery over graves that are missing headstones.
- Tennis Club Project - This group is raising funds to maintain tennis facilities
in Carson City Parks, particularly Centennial Park.
- Dog Park Project (no webpage yet).
- Junior Range Program (no webpage yet).
We are looking for other projects where we can be of assistance. If interested, contact
David Bugli (Dcbugli@aol.com).
This website is in development. The links should be working in a few days. We are also
setting up a Facebook page at http://www.Facebook.com/CCParksFoundation.
Click here to see our Articles of Incorporation.
Click here to see our Bylaws.